Re: [savannah-help-public] [Fwd: Re: gnu.org/software/libreboot]

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] [Fwd: Re: gnu.org/software/libreboot]
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 14:43:38 -0600

Ineiev wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > The general wisdom is never to enable .htaccess files if one has
> > access to the configuration file directly.  Which we (well the FSF) do
> > have access to and therefore the .htaccess files are not needed.  Just
> > have the global file include the necessary configuration.
>
> The FSF does; individual package maintainers (including GNU webmasters)
> don't (not directly); we do have the .symlinks [0] feature to insert
> redirections to include redirections to Apache config, and I'm generally
> in favor of it; however, the fact is that www group currently uses
> the top-level .htaccess for redirections and making SSI directives expand
> in a specific kind of files.
>
> [0] https://www.gnu.org/server/standards/README.webmastering.html#symlinks

I wasn't in disagreement with any of the facts as presented.  I was
stating my shock and surprise at them due to the performance impact of
enabling them.

Since they have access to all of the .htaccess files and they already
go through a check-in hook for installation then at that time they
could have been rolled into the global configuration automatically.  I
realize this is on the www.gnu.org side of things that we don't have
access to.  But on that side when checking out .htaccess files those
could be rolled into the global file as an included file.  (Obviously
with some unstated details of checking those files.)  That makes it a
static directive at Apache reload time and not a dynamic directive at
Apache run time.

Bob