Re: [Savannah-help-public] Audio-video web stats

From: Nick Hill
Subject: Re: [Savannah-help-public] Audio-video web stats
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:54:06 +0100

Sylvain Beucler wrote:

Hello Sylvain

I modified the configuration to separate the audio-video logs. We now
have to find a way to publish them to you. Maybe some basic http
authentication could do the trick?
Yes. That should be fine, as I can set wget to use username/password, also use resume.

Please make sure I can see the directory listing for the directory where the log files reside. I may need to see the rotated archives.

I can send you some config files if
you want to reproduce the configuration;
I probably don't need that. Just a username/password combination and URL for the logs directory.

if you have some ideas about
webalizer that we could run at Savannah this could be interesting too
(we've not setup a log analysis solution yet).

Are you considering a log analysis solution for each project, or a log analysis solution for the sysadmins?

Creating a statistics solution for each project should be fairly straightforward. Set rotation for the master log to daily. Set a cron job to run a process to split a master log into a separate log for each project, after the log has rotated. Perl would be ideal for this processing. Iterate over the list of logs using a script to generate webalizer command parameters. Add a link to all project templates pointing to the project's stats. add an .htaccess for 404's to the stats area with a 404 explaining 'stats are generated periodically, come back later'. When creating per-project log files, A consideration is do we hold a file handle open on each log at the same time, or are there so many projects we might run out of file handles.

After processing, or monthly, run a process to check the date on each target stats directory. If date > 2 months, delete stats as project probably dead and stats directory cruft.

If you send me a day master log file .bz2, I'll put something together.

ftp://ftp.nickhill.co.uk/pub/incoming

Also, I sent a mail months ago, I think to address@hidden, about
the availability of the video to the ESSI speech at
http://stream.unice.fr:8000/essi/stallman.ogg

I wasn't aware of the video file. We have the audio version on the av project here:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/audio/audio.html#ESSI04

I need to know who owns copyright for the recording, whether our normal verbatim copying... license is OK.

I assisted to that speech to I'm pretty commited to get the video
officially listed at gnu.org :)

A forward of the French announcement can be found here:
http://lists.indymedia.org/pipermail/radio-tzara/2005-May/0507-8i.html
Maybe you won't understand the French, but you'll get people's e-mail,
they speak english :)