Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Reviewing of project: Named Constant Gener

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] Reviewing of project: Named Constant Generator (GenNC)
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 22:23:35 GMT

    ineiev> I wonder whether it is really crucial for files like
    > README,  AUTHORS, THANKS, ABOUT-NLS to carry copyright notices.

They are files like any others that will need to be modified as time
goes by.  I personally see no reason why they should be an exception to
needing a license, presuming they are long enough to meet the "dozen or
so lines" criterion.

It is certainly true that in the world outside Savannah, there is no
requirement that every nontrivial file have a license notice.  Savannah
is so persnickety about it because (in practice) that is how rms wanted
it and (in theory) because it places the source code being hosted on the
soundest possible legal footing.

So if you think there is a case for such ancillary files to not require
a license notice in principle, I suggest writing to rms or perhaps
address@hidden and see if they agree.  Or you can make the case to me
first if you want :).

    jll> if a README file contains a user manual, I think it should be
    licensed.

Clearly that is true.  But Ineiev is considering the typical case where
the README is just a few lines of general information.  Say, 20 lines :).

Best,
karl