[Savannah-hackers-public] VM vcs upgraded (mostly)

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: [Savannah-hackers-public] VM vcs upgraded (mostly)
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 01:58:22 -0600

Tonight I upgraded VM vcs.  Mostly.  I will keep chipping away at
things until they are completely through.

I spot checked cvs, hg, git, and mercurial using their various web
interfaces.  All appeared to be working.  Please report any problems
if something is not working.

Does anyone know anything about how python-bzrlib is used?

This was a little bit of a rough upgrade.  Things did not go
smoothly.  Hopefully there won't be any resulting problems.

Details:

The python packages were in a very sad state.  They did not upgrade
cleanly.  When the python packages were upgraded the result was many
errors being unable to byte compile the python scripts.  I am not sure
how they got into their present bad state but python2.4 was still
hanging around and the presences of it was causing python package
upgrades to fail due to errors from python2.4.  However python2.4
wasn't listed as being installed.  The filesystem state was out of
sync with the package manager state.

It looks like old files were left hanging around on the system but the
package manager thought they were removed.  Also there were various
postinst script files from 2.4 still hanging around.  Also there were
pkg diversions still hanging around.  It was a mess!  I left a
"typescript" file in /root with details of the problem if anyone
wants to look.

I needed to take some manual cleaning steps to get things back into an
upgradable shape.  I ended up needing to manually remove many
python2.4 remnants and manually patch up the dpkg database.  Obviously
that isn't good because mistakes can be made and it can get out of
sync but it was in a bad way and needed help.

Additionally python-bzrlib appears to have been installed by simply
copying files into place in /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/bzrlib.
Does anyone know anything about how those files arrived there?  I
think as a local addition they should be installed in
/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/bzrlib instead.  I left them in
place but think that they should go into /usr/local instead.  Or we
can create a backports package for it.  The python-bzrlib package does
not exist in Squeeze 6 but appears in Wheezy 7.  If we wait a month
then we can install the next version when it releases.

Packages that depend upon python working correctly include mercurial.
I have no idea about the mercurial repositories on vcs.  If anyone who
has hg repositories could test then and report if they are still happy
or not that would be great.

Since the ssh there is custom I "held" those packages for the moment
and did not upgrade those.  Ssh is the only package that has not been
upgraded.  Also the VM has not been rebooted.  It needs to have the
grub configuration double reviewed before rebooting.  I didn't touch
the grub config yet and it probably needs it.  I still need to look
through all of the old/new config files in /etc and clean and/or merge
the 17 or so of them.

Bob