Re: Survey: compatibility vs speed of rdiff-backup development

From: Robert Nichols
Subject: Re: Survey: compatibility vs speed of rdiff-backup development
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 21:07:59 -0600

On 3/4/23 20:17, Frank Crawford wrote:
On Sat, 2023-03-04 at 12:58 -0700, Leland Best wrote:
If by "non-interactive" you mean something that happens automatically
as, say,
part of the distribution's package upgrade/update process, I vote for
a big
"No".

No, I mean specifically it doesn't ask questions, such as where the
repo is, or even if you do or don't want to run it.

First, I don't see how the package manager stuff (i.e. scripts, etc.)
could
possibly figure out reliably where all one's repositories are.
'rdiff-backup'
let's one create one _anywhere_.  There might be "system" backup
repositories,
repositories created by individual users for their own use, testing
repositories, who knows what?  Some may not even be available at the
time of
upgrade (removable drives, non- "auto mounted" network drives, etc.).

This is a good point, so probably does indicate it needs to be run out
of rdiff-backup itself, when it is accessing the repo for some reason.

It could be part of rdiff-backup, or just some extra script that rdiff-
backup calls as needed.

I can assure you that _none_ of my backup repositories are mounted while
package updates are being done -- not the one on the internal disk, not the
copies on the two external disks, and certainly not the copy that is rotated
offsite.

The conversion should be an extra script for which rdiff-backup _prompts_
before executing when an unconverted repository is encountered. I keep backups
for several different systems on the same media, and blindly converting one of
those just because I happen to reference it with the wrong version of
rdiff-backup could be a disaster. Really, I think the best solution would be
for rdiff-backup to fail and show an error message that conversion is required.
Unexpected prompts occurring during the execution of my backup scripts would be
quite annoying**, and implementing such prompts for a client calling an
rdiff-backup server might not be simple.

** Think: a script that takes quite some time to perform a backup of most of
the system, but later invokes rdiff-backup two more times for portions of the
system that are kept in separate repositories (for different retention
requirements).

                Do NOT delete it.