Re: Survey: compatibility vs speed of rdiff-backup development

From: Leland Best
Subject: Re: Survey: compatibility vs speed of rdiff-backup development
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2023 12:58:22 -0700

Hi,

Just my $0.02 ...

On Sat, 2023-03-04 at 12:08 +1100, Frank Crawford wrote:
> Just on the repository format migration option just consider that if
> automated, then when packaging it for RedHat, and probably other
> distributions, it should be non-interactive, and preferably easy to
> tell if it is required or not (for example if they did a reinstall).

If by "non-interactive" you mean something that happens automatically as, say,
part of the distribution's package upgrade/update process, I vote for a big
"No".

First, I don't see how the package manager stuff (i.e. scripts, etc.) could
possibly figure out reliably where all one's repositories are.  'rdiff-backup'
let's one create one _anywhere_.  There might be "system" backup repositories,
repositories created by individual users for their own use, testing
repositories, who knows what?  Some may not even be available at the time of
upgrade (removable drives, non- "auto mounted" network drives, etc.).

Second, I personally have had enough "new format upgrades" go horribly wrong
over the years (not with 'rdiff-backup', but in general) that I would much
rather be notified about the change ahead of time, then run some migration tool
(possibly built into 'rdiff-backup' itself?) at a time of my choosing.  That
way, I can back up my backups (good grief) before the migration just in case.

> Also, as you have found, no one reads the release notes, so very few
> will read that they need to run anything for a migration, and so we
> will almost certainly need it to be done automatically, either by
> rdiff-backup, or just when upgrading the package.
[...]

Leading up to the mandatory migration, there should be a period of time where
'rdiff-backup' prints a prominent warning/notification about the migration every
time it's run.  During this time, 'rdiff-backup' should support both formats and
allow the migration tool to be run whenever it's convenient.

Again, just my $0.02 worth.

Cheers
Leland
Leland C. Best      | Creationists make it sound as though a 'theory' is
lcbpublic@gmail.com | something you dreamt up after being drunk all night.
                    | -- Isaac Asimov

[...]