Re: cross-platform backup tool We have a new site, and we need help!

From: EricZolf
Subject: Re: cross-platform backup tool We have a new site, and we need help!
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 18:28:55 +0200

Hi,

On 27/10/2022 14:50, Greg Troxel wrote:

EricZolf <ewl+rdiffbackup@lavar.de> writes:

    - Does it mean that rdiff is no longer on savannah.nongnu.org?

We've stopped using actively savannah.nongnu.org since many years,
even before my time, it's just technology-wise rather outdated and
doesn't offer all the amenities we are used from GitHub. This said, we
still rely on Savannah for _this_ mailing list, hence it won't go away
that fast.

Indeed, that's a major bug with github, not having mailinglists and
pushing people to use issues for conversations that belong on lists.

I'm always a bit wary of absolute statements like that. Anyway, GitHub has also introduced "Discussions" which looks more like a mailing list/forum. I've avoided it indeed to not make myself even more dependent of GitHub.

    - Are there plans to get off github, given all the usual issues?

Which usual issues? No plans so far.

1) It's proprietary software.
2) github is not a 501(c)3 or equivalent with a purpose of promoting
    Free Software.
3) github doesn't have mailinglists and has promoted a culture of
    abusing issues trackers to ask for help
4) CoPilot is a proprietary derived work of Free Software

More details at

https://sfconservancy.org/GiveUpGitHub/

I maintain unison, which is on github this minute, and we have an open

Unison, cool project!

ticket to find a new home.

Let us know about your progress, that might be of interest in due time. Interestingly enough, my next try would have been probably GitLab, but the SFconservancy doesn't like it either (speaking of absolute statements).

PS: please refrain from addressing me directly, I do read the mailing list.

I guess that would happen automatically if you set Reply-To: and got the
rest of the world to stop abusing Reply-To....  I will try to remember.

*Sigh* my reply-to is set to reply to the mailing list, in a tentative to force people to not address me directly, but rather to the list...

KR, Eric