[rdiff-backup-users] is there a way to disable regression?

From: denis cardon
Subject: [rdiff-backup-users] is there a way to disable regression?
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 08:27:44 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

First I'll start by the usual season greetings : I
wish you all a happy new year ! And also wanted to
congratulate the developpers for this great piece of
work. Keep on the good job ! :-)

I would need to know if there is a way to disable
regression if the backup is stopped and then restarted
sometime later. Here is the long story :

I've been testing rdiff as a daily backup utility for
already a few month. It's been working quite well on a
local area network with high bandwidth and permanent
connection.

However my testing hasn't been so good on VPN
connection. I'm trying to set up rdiff to back up a
hard drive on a remote location (the bottle neck is
the remote 128kbps upward ADSL link ==60MB/hour + one
daily ADSL connection cut by the provider at 01:00AM).
The backup has to be carried out during the night.

In normal situation, there is only a few dozen of megs
of data change on the file-server, so a few hours is
enough for backing up.

However, since the internet connection is vital for
running the business (vpn stuff et al.), the backup
shouldn't be lasting after 8:00AM. So if there has
been a lot more than 500MB of data change on the
server I need to kill the backup process.

It is not a huge problem if the file backup is late
one day. However, since rdiff does regression, if one
day backup can't get finished, it will never get
finished again (always more data to backup since last
snapshot).

So my question is : is there a way to disable
regression? If not, is there a fundamental flaw in
having a partial snapshot of the file-server (I backup
only documents, no /etc/, no /usr/, no /var/).

It looks to me that this issue shoud be quite common,
but since I have not found anything on the mailing
list archive, I am wondering if I am not just not
doing something wrong...

Cheers,

Denis Cardon

=====