Re: [RP] neat trick

From: Jonathan Walther
Subject: Re: [RP] neat trick
Date: Mon Apr 28 23:26:06 2003

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 11:07:52PM -0700, Shawn Betts wrote:
Jonathan Walther <address@hidden> writes:

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 10:17:34AM -0400, Caleb Shay wrote:
>While I'm posting, I'd like to throw in a feature request, and it SHOULD
>be a really easy one to implement.  I want a "sleep N" command which
> just keeps ratpoison from executing any commands for N seconds.
> Why? Because, as you can see, I use a fairly complex frame layout
> with a few
>programs that are slow to launch, if I just put the various exec
>commands + splits + vsplits into my .ratpoisonrc, my applications end up
>in a different frame every time I start since depending on how long it
>takes the window to map, a different frame may have focus.

No, that is the wrong approach.  Ryan and I are working with the X
standards organization and Xfree86 implementors to find a mechanism that
will let you, and us, do this 100% correctly.  Using arbitrary delays is
an unreliable hack.

I installed KDE for my brother the other day. I found that on many
apps KDE indicates that it's waiting for the app to start by showing
an hour glass. The moment the window opens, the hour glass goes
away. If we could figure out how this is done, I think this would help
us to solve the above problems.

They do it through one of the KDE libraries.

The thing I am thinking of is a modification to Xlib.  Set an
environment variable, for instance, RPID before running the program,
then the modified Xlib would pass that on to X as an Atom, and attach it
as a property to every Window that gets mapped; that way ratpoison can
draw the connection. For instance,
RPID=mozilla mozilla

Then Xlib passes RPID to X, then ratpoison can check the RPID property
on a window to see what class of app it is, and we could encode other
information like hostname and pid and starting time too.

Jonathan

--
                    Geek House Productions, Ltd.

Phone:   604-435-1205
Email:   address@hidden
Webpage: http://reactor-core.org
Address: 2459 E 41st Ave, Vancouver, BC  V5R2W2