quilt-dev

[Quilt-dev] Re: being nice to patch(1)

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: [Quilt-dev] Re: being nice to patch(1)
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 13:55:02 -0700

Linus Torvalds <address@hidden> writes:

> Anyway, I tried to look at the patch sources, but I had to stop. That
> whole "intuit_diff_type()" function is probably designed as an initiation
> rite for any patch programmers, and to make sure that you have to be
> really serious about wanting to send patches before you can become part of
> the "in crowd". It's "mental hazing".

You should have seen it in the good old days when Larry Wall wrote it.
It was at least -- at least! -- 10% worse.

> In this case, the improvement would be to simply ignore indented patches
> (preferably by default, but at least have the option to do so).

I agree.  POSIX has tied our hands to some extent, though, since it
_requires_ patch to accept indented patches by default.  It's too late
to fix this in the current POSIX go-round, but we can fix it in the
next.  And in the mean time we can add an option, I suppose defaulting
to not stripping indentation unless POSIXLY_CORRECT is set.  That
would be fine with me.

I'll add it to my list of things to do.