quilt-dev

[Quilt-dev] Re: being nice to patch(1)

From: Linus Torvalds
Subject: [Quilt-dev] Re: being nice to patch(1)
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 14:40:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Thing is, changelog-followed-by-diff is a fairly standard format used by
> quilt and other such toys.

Sure. And if a tool ends up eating the changelog as a diff, then that tool
is broken. I really do think that this is a "patch" bug - I really don't
think that that was a valid traditional diff with the four spaces at the
head of the line.

Of course, if the changelog-followed-by-diff doesn't have any indentation
or escaping at all, the changelog entry itself *could* actually have a
real unified diff in it, and the tool would be unable to tell where the
actual patch starts.

But at least "git show" and friends indent the changelog on purpose,
exactly so that there is never any chance that there could be any real
ambiguity, and this really was a "patch" bug as far as I can tell.
Happily, one that is easy to work around, by just telling patch to always
consider the patch a unified diff.

                        Linus