quilt-dev

[Quilt-dev] Re: being nice to patch(1)

From: Paolo Ciarrocchi
Subject: [Quilt-dev] Re: being nice to patch(1)
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 14:21:51 +0200

On 7/3/07, Johannes Schindelin <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,
On Mon, 2 Jul 2007, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jul 2007, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> > Linus Torvalds <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > > So I would suggest that in quilt and other systems, you either:
> > >
> > >  - strip all headers manually
> > >
> > >  - forget about "patch", and use "git-apply" instead that does things
> > >    right and doesn't screw up like this (and can do rename diffs etc too).
> > >
> > > I guess the second choice generally isn't an option, but dammit,
> > > "git-apply" really is the better program here.
> >
> > Why not?  git-apply works outside of a git repo ;-)
>
> I was more thinking that people are not necessarily willing to install git
> just to get the "git-apply" program..

But maybe they would be willing to install git to get that wonderful
git-apply program, and that wonderful rename-and-mode-aware git-diff, and
the git-merge-file program, all of which can operate outside of a git
repository. (Take that, hg!)

How about shipping just these commands as a separate package?
Is that a cray idea?

ciao,
--
Paolo
"Tutto cio' che merita di essere fatto,merita di essere fatto bene"