Re: VDE?

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: VDE?
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 13:31:03 +0100

On 31/10/2022 09.42, Tomas By wrote:
On Mon, 31 Oct 2022 09:20:27 +0100, Thomas Huth wrote:
"-nic" does not have any help output, I think.

Yes it does (unless I misunderstand things), same text as -netdev.

Oh, that's interesting! Recent versions of QEMU only show an error message in that case. Seems like this regressed somewhere between QEMU v5.1.0 and 5.2.0.

That error message should not happen with "-nic", I think. Could you
provide your full command line to make it clear what happens here?

|qemu-system-i386 -hda disk.img -boot c -m 8 -device ne2k_isa -nic user

Ah, ok, so it's the "-device" option that is causing the problem here. If you want to use "-device", you've got to use -netdev instead of -nic, something like:

 -netdev user,id=n1 -device ne2k_isa,netdev=n1

The -nic option is a combination of -netdev and -device, so in your case, you could use this instead:

 -nic user,model=ne2k_isa

See also this page for more information:

 https://www.qemu.org/2018/05/31/nic-parameter/

If you urgently want to use VDE, then you likely have to compile it on
your own. Otherwise you could try tap (I'd recommend libvirt for
easier setup here),

Is there some example somewhere showing how to do that, using current
versions of the tools etc?

If you want to use tap and libvirt, maybe the easiest solution is to use "virt-manager" to define your machines. Otherwise have a try with the "socket" network backend, I think that could work in your case, too.

 Thomas