Re: VDE?

From: Thomas Huth
Subject: Re: VDE?
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 09:20:27 +0100

On 29/10/2022 14.59, Tomas By wrote:
Hi all,

I'm using QEMU 4.2.1 (Debian 1:4.2-3ubuntu6.23), and am trying to set
up two or more guest instances with DOS, and an emulated network
(using IPX, but can switch to TCP/IP I guess), all on one Linux
machine.
> When I say "qemu-system-i386 -nic help", it does not list "vde" (or
anything similar) - does this mean I do not have VDE in the binary?

"-nic" does not have any help output, I think. But you can try "-netdev help" - if that does not list "vde", then your binary does not have VDE enabled, I think.

When I boot with "-nic user". Linux says "nic has no peer" but in DOS
the drivers load ok.

That error message should not happen with "-nic", I think. Could you provide your full command line to make it clear what happens here?

What is the easiest way forward? Do I need to download and compile
QEMU from source to get VDE?

If you urgently want to use VDE, then you likely have to compile it on your own. Otherwise you could try tap (I'd recommend libvirt for easier setup here), or if your guests do not need any connection to the outside, you could try to wire them up via the "socket" backend instead, e.g. run one QEMU with:

 -nic socket,listen=:11122

and the second QEMU with:

 -nic socket,connect=:11122

 HTH,