Re: [Qemu-discuss] qemu-system-x86_64 hangs in 1024 x 768 Graphic mode w

From: Shiyao Ma
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] qemu-system-x86_64 hangs in 1024 x 768 Graphic mode when using -curses
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 08:07:15 +0800

Hi, Kevin

The key part is, when you run the system image without X, the framebuffer stuff should already be disabled in that image. Or at least you can a chance to modify it, like what I did by SSH.

Here's what I was doing when installing the debian netiso image.  Note, for all the procedure below, there is no X running.  I am doing it on the server (via ssh without X forwarding).

1. First, download the netiso image.
2. create the image.
     qemu-img create -f qcow2 eva.qcow 4G

3.  then run with the cd image.
     sudo kvm -cdrom debian-8.6.0-amd64-netinst.iso -hda eva.qcow -boot d -curses

     note here, you must disable the framebuffer.
     refer to this s.o, http://stackoverflow.com/a/36666901/855160
     basically, you should type this:
     <esc>
     install vga=normal fb=false

     BTW, choose debian expert mode to not install the Desktop Envrionment.  Surely, you don't want X.

     BTW, don' t forget to install the OPENSSH SERVER!  see 4.) for the reason.

4. after installation, you will boot the machine.
     You must change the grub and the runlevel.
     You should first run qemu with the user network, for example,
     sudo kvm -m 256 eva.qcow2 -net nic,model=virtio -net user,net=192.168.101.0/24,hostfwd=tcp::8022-:22 -curses
     so now you can ssh into the server.

       # refer to this: http://tinyurl.com/ogpo7be
   1. update grub to be in text mode.
      GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset text"
      GRUB_TERMINAL="console"

     don't forget to run the update-grub command

   2. update debian to be in text mode.
      sudo systemctl set-default multi-user.target

5. shutdown that guest and run qemu with the
    "-curses -vga virtio" option.

   (the  "-vga virtio" is what takes me the most time to figure out. ;).

That's the whole process I took.