qemu-devel

Re: QEMU stable 7.2.1

From: Michael Roth
Subject: Re: QEMU stable 7.2.1
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 08:58:18 -0500

On Wed, Apr 05, 2023 at 02:54:47PM +0300, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> So let it be, with a delay of about a week.
>
> Since no one from the qemu team replied to my final-release steps, I'm
> making it available on my site instead:
>
>   http://www.corpit.ru/mjt/qemu/qemu-7.2.1.tar.xz
>   http://www.corpit.ru/mjt/qemu/qemu-7.2.1.tar.xz.sig - signed with my GPG key
>   http://www.corpit.ru/mjt/qemu/qemu-7.2.1.diff - whole difference from 7.2.0.
>
> The tag (v7.2.1) is in the main qemu repository.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for handling this release!

Somehow I missed your final steps email, but for future releases I would
recommend going ahead and tagging your release (also signed with your GPG
key) in your local tree once you've got everything ready, and then sending
me an email to directly so I can push that to gitlab and then handle
creating the tarball and publish it with my GPG key. That's basically what
we do for the normal QEMU releases as well.

Then once you get your accounts set up by gitlab/qemu.org admins you can
handle the tag-pushing/tarball-uploading on your end. Would be good to
have someone else involved with that process so we have some redundancy
just in case.

For 7.2.1:

I could also upload your tarball, but we'd also want a signed .bz2 tarball
to accomodate any environments that still try to consume the .bz2 versions
(even though we don't actively advertise them on the website). We'd also
need to update the GPG key published on the website at
https://www.qemu.org/download/

So for this one it might make sense to keep the tarball published where you
have it, and I'll just mirror your 7.2.1 tag to QEMU gitlab under a new
stable-7.2 branch like we've done in the past. Then for subsequent
releases I'll publish as mentioned above until you have upload/push access.

If that sounds reasonable to you (and everyone else) I'll go ahead and
push the stable-7.2/7.2.1 branches to by gitlab EOD tomorrow my time.

Thanks!

-Mike