qemu-devel

Re: [edk2-devel] On integrating LoongArch EDK2 firmware into QEMU build

From: Chao Li
Subject: Re: [edk2-devel] On integrating LoongArch EDK2 firmware into QEMU build process
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 18:13:41 +0800

Hi Bibo,

Thanks for Cc to me.

Hi Gerd,

This problem is because the gcc-12 does not yet to support the option 'mno-explicit-reloc', this option is used to open the new reloaction type for LoongArch, this new feature is very important for LoongArch, because it can reduce the binary size and improve code execution efficiency, so we turn it on when submitting the code to the EDK2 repo.

gcc-13 will support this new feature, so we expect this issue to be resolved when using gcc-13, which may be released at this month.

If Fedora38 does not plan to use gcc-13 now, I suggest that CI can download a LoongArch cross gcc-13 when creating a docker image, just like EDK2 CI process. You can refer following link for more information: https://github.com/tianocore/containers/blob/main/Fedora-37/Dockerfile . EDK2 CI uses Fedora35 and Fedora37 docker images for LoongArch,  they will download a LoongArch cross gcc-13 when the CI targets is LoongArch.

We are really sorry about that, I think this solution will make more work for you, but I think it is the best way for now, and I believe it will be solved when Fedora uses gcc-13 in the future.

Thanks,
Chao
在 2023/4/3 16:51, maobibo 写道:
Cc to Chao Li who is maintainer of edk2 about LoongArch support.

Hi Chao,

Fedora38 is used to build edk2 binary in qemu CI, cross gcc-12 is
integrated on Fedora38. There is one issue when gcc-12 is used to
build edk2 loongarch like this:
... but when trying to use them to compile the loongarch firmware gcc
throws errors:

loongarch64-linux-gnu-gcc: error: unrecognized command-line option ‘-mno-explicit-reloc
what is your option about this issue?

Regards
Bibo, Mao

在 2023/4/1 13:11, maobibo 写道: