qemu-devel

Re: [edk2-devel] On integrating LoongArch EDK2 firmware into QEMU build

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [edk2-devel] On integrating LoongArch EDK2 firmware into QEMU build process
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2023 12:58:37 +0200

On Mon, Apr 03, 2023 at 06:13:41PM +0800, Chao Li wrote:
> Hi Bibo,
>
> gcc-13 will support this new feature, so we expect this issue to be resolved
> when using gcc-13, which may be released at this month.
>
> If Fedora38 does not plan to use gcc-13 now, I suggest that CI can download
> a LoongArch cross gcc-13 when creating a docker image, just like EDK2 CI
> process. You can refer following link for more information:

The non-cross gcc already is at 13.  Fedora builds the distro with
pre-release gcc so gcc gets some serious real-world testing before
release.

The cross compilers lagging behind a bit, not sure whenever there is
some actual problem or whenever maintainers are just waiting for the
final gcc-13 release.

> https://github.com/tianocore/containers/blob/main/Fedora-37/Dockerfile .
> EDK2 CI uses Fedora35 and Fedora37 docker images for LoongArch,  they will
> download a LoongArch cross gcc-13 when the CI targets is LoongArch.

While that works as temporary stopgap for edk2 CI it is a non-starter
for fedora distro builds.  Any builds must be done using compilers
shipped by fedora.  So, fedora shipping edk2-loongarch (or
ipxe-loongarch) packages is blocked by this.

> We are really sorry about that, I think this solution will make more work
> for you, but I think it is the best way for now, and I believe it will be
> solved when Fedora uses gcc-13 in the future.

I'll go just wait for gcc-13 cross compilers land in fedora then.

take care,
  Gerd