qemu-devel

Re: out of CI pipeline minutes again

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: out of CI pipeline minutes again
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 10:16:30 +0100

On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 10:11:11PM +0000, Eldon Stegall wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 03:33:00PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
> > IIUC, we already have available compute resources from a couple of
> > sources we could put into service. The main issue is someone to
> > actually configure them to act as runners *and* maintain their
> > operation indefinitely going forward. The sysadmin problem is
> > what made/makes gitlab's shared runners so incredibly appealing.

I have a gitlab runner active on a hosted machine.  It builds on fedora
coreos and doesn't need much baby-sitting.  Just copied the bits into a
new repository and pushed to
        https://gitlab.com/kraxel/coreos-gitlab-runner

> Daniel, you pointed out the importance of reproducibility, and thus the
> use of the two-step process, build-docker, and then test-in-docker, so it
> seems that only docker and the gitlab agent would be strong requirements for
> running the jobs?

The above works just fine as replacement for the shared runners.  Can
also run in parallel to the shared runners, but it's slower on picking
up jobs, so it'll effectively take over when you ran out of minutes.

take care,
  Gerd