qemu-devel

Re: out of CI pipeline minutes again

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: out of CI pipeline minutes again
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2023 10:54:10 +0100

On 2/23/23 16:33, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 03:28:37PM +0000, Ben Dooks wrote:
On Thu, Feb 23, 2023 at 12:56:56PM +0000, Peter Maydell wrote:
Hi; the project is out of gitlab CI pipeline minutes again.
In the absence of any other proposals, no more pull request
merges will happen til 1st March...

Is there a way of sponsoring more minutes, could people provide
runner resources to help?

IIUC, we already have available compute resources from a couple of
sources we could put into service. The main issue is someone to
actually configure them to act as runners *and* maintain their
operation indefinitely going forward. The sysadmin problem is
what made/makes gitlab's shared runners so incredibly appealing.

Indeed, that's the main issue. Now that GNOME is hosting download.qemu.org, we have much more freedom about how to use the credits that we get from the Azure open source sponsorship program. Currently we only have 2 VMs running but we could even reduce that to just one.

Using the Kubernetes executor for GitLab would be both cheap and convenient because we would only pay (use sponsorship credits) when the CI is in progress. Using beefy containers (e.g. 20*16 vCPUs) is therefore not out of question. Unfortunately, this is not an easy thing to set up especially for people without much k8s experience.

Paolo