qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/10] MIPS queue for May 19th, 2019

From: Aleksandar Markovic
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/10] MIPS queue for May 19th, 2019
Date: Sun, 19 May 2019 15:16:15 +0000

> From: Jakub Jermar <address@hidden>

> >> This was rather a problem with failing non-executable page tests in
> >> L4Re, not HelenOS. Even though I tested HelenOS for regressions.
> >
> > OK, Jakub, what would be your suggestion for a high-level description
> > of this message for end users (it is definitely a change that affects end
> > user)? Something like" Improved PAGE_EXEC flag handling"?
>
> It makes sure that referenced pages are not automatically marked
> executable by QEMU (despite the XI bit).
>
> As a user-visible change, this might unbreak some tests that attempt to
> execute data. Note that this fix does not affect pages that are not
> referenced prior to being executed - those have worked fine.
>
> Otherwise for normal code that does not attempt to execute data, things
> should not change at all.

I changed the first item in MIPS section of 4.1 release notes (change log)
to be:

* Marking referenced memory pages as executable is improved (it is restricted
to necessary cases only).

We have time to change it by end of July, if you have a better suggestion.

Link:

https://wiki.qemu.org/ChangeLog/4.1#MIPS

Thanks for your engaging in this issue!

Hope to see you soon with more contributions!

Aleksandar