qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/10] MIPS queue for May 19th, 2019

From: Jakub Jermar
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/10] MIPS queue for May 19th, 2019
Date: Sun, 19 May 2019 16:46:18 +0200

On 5/19/19 2:00 PM, Aleksandar Markovic wrote:

>>>   * A fix for HelenOS boot hang (related to the flag PAGE_EXEC)
>>
>> This was rather a problem with failing non-executable page tests in
>> L4Re, not HelenOS. Even though I tested HelenOS for regressions.
>
> OK, Jakub, what would be your suggestion for a high-level description
> of this message for end users (it is definitely a change that affects end
> user)? Something like" Improved PAGE_EXEC flag handling"?

It makes sure that referenced pages are not automatically marked
executable by QEMU (despite the XI bit).

As a user-visible change, this might unbreak some tests that attempt to
execute data. Note that this fix does not affect pages that are not
referenced prior to being executed - those have worked fine.

Otherwise for normal code that does not attempt to execute data, things
should not change at all.

Cheers,
Jakub

--
Kernkonzept GmbH at Dresden, Germany, HRB 31129, CEO Dr.-Ing. Michael
Hohmuth