qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] building for an arm host on an x86_64 machine [was: qem

From: New B
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] building for an arm host on an x86_64 machine [was: qemu builds on arm hosts]
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 16:28:03 -0700

I just realized that the original subject of my question was not accurate.

I am trying to compile qemu to run on an arm host.  I don't have an arm host
yet.  Until I get one, I am just trying to build and link it on an x86_64
ubuntu machine.  (If I am already out of bounds at this point as I would need a
different toolchain, I would appreciate pointers).

Meanwhile, I have also used the yocto project to build a 32-bit arm linux
kernel and rootfs for “MACHINE ?= qemuarm"

Presently, I have no access to an arm host nor the embedded arm board for the
device yet.

My problem is that I am unable to get a successful build of qemu-system-arm
given the following build environment and configuration statement.

Build Environment:
uname -a
Linux NewBnz-FX6800-01e 3.5.0-47-generic #71-Ubuntu SMP Wed Feb 19 00:00:07 UTC
2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

gcc --version
gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.7.2-2ubuntu1) 4.7.2

 ld --version
GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.22.90.20120924
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License version 3 or (at your option) a later version.
This program has absolutely no warranty.

Qemu configuration
./configure --cpu=arm --target-list=arm-softmmu --disable-vnc --disable-sdl
--disable-virtfs --disable-brlapi --disable-rdma --disable-libusb
--disable-usb-redir --enable-pie

I appreciate your help.  The ramp-up on qemu source base is proving to be
steeper than I expected.

Thank you!