qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] amd pcnet driver (was Re: qemu and solaris)

From: Paul Jakma
Subject: [Qemu-devel] amd pcnet driver (was Re: qemu and solaris)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 23:39:58 +0100 (IST)

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004, Paul Jakma wrote:

- I've had better luck with Andrew's patch to add support for AMD PCNet emulation (Solaris provides it's own PCNet driver, pcn). This works, and ICMP between solaris and host works, however I can not telnet or ssh to the host, nor does DNS work within the host. If i snoop the 'pcn0' interface in solaris, it prints errors of the form:

        'IP truncated: header missing X bytes'

Where X is typically 10, 12,14 or 17. Not had a chance to debug this further.

Note that packets sent by the qemu host via the pcnet driver and out to the real host appear to be fine. It's packets received by the emulated host which regularly appear corrupted in some indeterminate way (i dont seem to be able to capture the corrupted packets, as seen by the qemu host, with snoop :( - snoop prints errors but i cant get it to actually log the malformed packets :( ).

I inserted a hex_dump() in pcnet_receive() (just before the PRINT_PKTHDR() define inside #ifdef PCNET_DEBUG_MATCH) and the data logged here matches up exactly with frames captured sent out tun0 by tcpdump on the native host - (presuming the extra 4 bytes logged by pcnet_receive() are valid ethernet CRC trailer - tcpdump doesnt log the CRC), so things are going wrong after the above point AFAICT.

However, many packets from native host -> emulated host are not received properly, so networking basically is intolerable.

Unfortunately, I dont know how to debug this further. :(

regards,
--
Paul Jakma      address@hidden  address@hidden  Key ID: 64A2FF6A
        warning: do not ever send email to address@hidden