qemu-devel

Fat16 vs fat32 (was Re: [Qemu-devel] Installing a guest WXP on a MacOS X

From: Joe Menola
Subject: Fat16 vs fat32 (was Re: [Qemu-devel] Installing a guest WXP on a MacOS X host)
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:23:00 -0500

On Mon July 19 2004 12:58 pm, Laurent Amon wrote:
> On 19 juil. 04, at 19:12, Joe Menola wrote:
> > Avoid using Win95 to partition and format. Win95 uses fat16 and is
> > limitted in
> > size to 2gb, not enough for XP, IMHO.Better to use at least Win98.
> >
> > http://www.bootdisk.com/
>
> Actually, Win95 OSR2 supports FAT32. But I fdisked the image using
> Freedos anyway, as Win95 fdisk would not allow me to set a partition as
> Active except on the boot disk.

That sounds correct. I started using Qemu with a Win95 OEM install. Have since
upgraded to Win98>Winxp. I was actually in the postion of that which I warned
against. And I was in the process of restoring xp on a newly created fat32
fs.
Interesting to note that preformance took a serious nose dive, xp ran about
50% faster on my fat16 fs????
I was actually hoping for an increase, think I'll revert back to fat16 and
deal with those problems.

-jm