qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Installing a guest WXP on a MacOS X host

From: Laurent Amon
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Installing a guest WXP on a MacOS X host
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 18:21:05 +0200

Selon Alexandre Tolmos <address@hidden>:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm new to QEMU and I'd like to know how to boot a Windows XP
> installation CDROM from MacOS X. Do I need to create an ISO image from
> my WXP CDROM or can I boot directly from it e.g. using "-cdrom
> /dev/<device>" ?
>
> Which tools are needed to create an ISO image from a CDROM ?

Use Disk Utility (on Panther). Select the cdrom in the list and choose
Images -> New -> Image from <volume_name>. It will save as .dmg
Then qemu youdisk.dmg -cdrom file.dmg -boot d

If you have not done so, you need to create a blank dmg image as a hard drive
using Disk Uility. You will then partition it and format it. I guess that the
XP installation process wil take care of that for you, but if not, you may have
to boot from a floppy image in order to use fdisk (XP may not like the Apple
partition map). Just in case, with W95 at least, you must not forget to
Activate the partition with fdisk. Qemu will fail if you do not.

Rgds,

Lga.