pspp-users

Re: Problems with data import from q-set.de

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Problems with data import from q-set.de
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 20:49:30 +0200

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 01:31:52PM +0000, Lena Gringhuis wrote:

     I have done a questionnaire for my Bachelor thesis with the German
provider q-set.de. There, I got two documents as you can find attached. I
downloaded the program PSPP as I know that this is a nice alternative to SPSS.
Normally, one could import the documents to have a nice overview in PSPP
without typing everything in.
     When I am importing the .csv file, there is an error which says that the
document contents a row which is longer than 16384 bytes.

     When I am importing the syntax.sps file, VAR001 includes all the data of
the document, but I cannot do anything to seperate it into different variables.

Indeed, these files are wierd.  They seem to use a single CR as a line
separator.  I've never seen a file like that before - effectively both files
contain only one line.

I used sed to change all CRs into LFs and then imported it using PSPPs
File|Import option.
Then it seemed to go ok, but there are a number of instances where the csv file
has strings where numbers are expected.

q-set.de seem to be generating very off output.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
See http://keys.gnupg.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.