pspp-users

Re: Citing PSPP

From: David Sean
Subject: Re: Citing PSPP
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 16:35:33 -0500

Arxiv might be an option midway between a URL and JStatSoft. But, depending on the journal, once it's on arxiv, it may no longer be publishable. I am from a physics background and the use of arxiv is not a problem (it is encouraged). I am not sure what the ASA's policy on arxiv publications are.

http://arxiv.org/

-David
----------
The future is here. It's just not widely distributed yet. - William Gibson

2011/11/8 John Darrington <address@hidden>
On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 10:10:19AM -0800, Ben Pfaff wrote:
    Jason Stover <address@hidden> writes:

    > On Fri, Nov 04, 2011 at 06:26:55PM -0400, David Sean wrote:
    >> What is the preferred way to cite the use of PSPP in scientific articles?
    >
    > It looks like no one has responded, so here is my best attempt:
    >
    > There is no standard way to cite PSPP that I know of, but PSPP is part
    > of the GNU project, so you could give a reference like
    >
    > B. Pfaff, J. Darrington et. al. GNU PSPP. http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/

    I think that David mentioned in IRC that citations of webpages
    weren't really looked on well in his journal.

One of the reasons that web citations are looked upon poorly is their transient
nature.  There are a number of projects which have been set up to try to address this. One
such project is http://webcitation.org

Another problem is their lack of peer review.  I've been considering if it would be appropriate
to submit something to http://www.jstatsoft.org   They seem to be a reasonably reputable
journal, and apparently accept "white papers".

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3
fingerprint = 8797 A26D 0854 2EAB 0285  A290 8A67 719C 2DE8 27B3