pspp-users

Regression output format

From: Rob Malpass
Subject: Regression output format
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 16:58:17 +0100

Hi all

This is not a criticism - just suggesting an improvement as I see it.   If others are happy with the present situation - so be it.

I've just been playing with linear regression in PSPP.   While I'm content that the numbers look right, can I ask if everyone's happy with the format of the output?   I confess I've not used SPSS for a regression for many a year but in PSPP I'm getting umpteen tables - seemingly 3 for each independent variable.

What I (personally) would like to see is two tables when running a regression:

1) Overall model specifics: R Squared, F-Test on R, RESET test etc

2) For each independent variable, a table with the Coeff, the std err, the t-stat etc

The second table above is very much the way Microfit does it and I (obviously) accept the point that we're trying to build an SPSS clone here so if PSPP is currently cloning the SPSS output so be it - but I thought I would float the idea.

In my particular case, I have 10 independent variables such that I'm getting 30 tables i.e. 3 tables (coeff, ANOVA and std err) for each variable.   This may be something to do with me running in a large font (on an Ubuntu 10.04 box) but I thought I would ask.

For academic interest, I can easily supply the dataset I'm using if that would be helpful.   The output I'm getting (to show just how many tables for 10 independent variables) is attached.

Cheers

Rob