[Protux-devel] [Fwd: Re: [Alsa-devel] available sampling rate detection]

From: Martin Herren
Subject: [Protux-devel] [Fwd: Re: [Alsa-devel] available sampling rate detection]
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:09:02 +0100

At Tue, 11 Feb 2003 08:53:59 +0100,
Martin Herren wrote:

Hej,

i'm new on this list as well as to alsa.

We need to find out the supported sampling rates (and other parameters) for the
pcm devices of soundcards.

We used snd_pcm_hw_params_test_rate() for this, which according to the
documentation
(http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/group___p_c_m___h_w___params.html#a53)
should return 1 if the rate is available, 0 otherwise.
The problem is that it always returned an non-null value, for any rate even if
we knew it wasn't supported.

Then we found out that we need to call snd_pcm_hw_params_any() first, and then
snd_pcm_hw_params_test_rate() returns 0 for supported rates, and a negativ
value (-22) otherwise.

the documentation is wrong.  the test functions return zero if
supported and a negative value if not supported, as well as the set
functions do.

Takashi