[Protux-devel] available sampling rate detection

From: Martin Herren
Subject: [Protux-devel] available sampling rate detection
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 01:54:44 +0100

Hej,

i'm new on this list as well as to alsa.

We need to find out the supported sampling rates (and other parameters) for the
pcm devices of soundcards.

We used snd_pcm_hw_params_test_rate() for this, which according to the
documentation
(http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/group___p_c_m___h_w___params.html#a53)
should return 1 if the rate is available, 0 otherwise.
The problem is that it always returned an non-null value, for any rate even if
we knew it wasn't supported.

Then we found out that we need to call snd_pcm_hw_params_any() first, and then
snd_pcm_hw_params_test_rate() returns 0 for supported rates, and a negativ
value (-22) otherwise.

Is this the correct way to do the test or did we miss a point ?
If it is correct, the documentation should be updated.

An additional question, what is the correct way to find out all existing
cards/buses on a system ? Currently we scan /proc/asound/card?/ for all
pcmX[cp]. Is there a better way to do it ?

Thanks,

Martin

--
Martin Herren

Protux - A Free Professional Audio Tool for GNU/Linux:
-> http://www.nongnu.org/protux/
Open your Windows - Free your Mind - Enjoy:
->http://gnuwin.epfl.ch