Re: [Protux-devel] some diplomacy...

From: Luciano Giordana
Subject: Re: [Protux-devel] some diplomacy...
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 03:10:39 -0200

oh my God, somebody understands my pain...

I am experiences EXACLTY the same...

so I decided.

until I find some good soul to explain what is a "DEVICE" for ALSA, and what
is PCM, subdevice, subunit dir, configuration space, and all other
non-standard ideas they introduced in audio world..., I will make this :
MustuxAudioDeviceMapper will look for stereo buses, which is any THING
(device, pcm, whatever) that can play and capture in stereo mode,

when it is found, libmustux will , itself, handle the subdevicing. If user
wants to record only from right channel, MustuxAudioDevice mapper will STILL
record in stereo, but will make only the right channel data visible to user.
Even if different tracks gets different channels, it will be transparent to
the application. if MustuxAudioDeviceMapper cannot find stereo buses, it will
allow only mono bus operation, so each track will be able to receive/send
audio data only from/to 1 bus each

Maybe it will be slower, but it will work similarly to VEGAS. And this will be
like this until somebody decides to write ALSA docs for normal people, and
not olny for ALSA developers (you can see I am really angry with ALSA docs)

ps - for example : I am using those snd_hw_test_rate(...) functions, to test
if a device/bus/pcm/anything (from now on I will call is the ALSA
CRAPICES...), can support some rate. I tryed 1GHz on a Sound Blaster 16 !!!!
and it returns OK !!!! Isnt it crappy ?

On Saturday 01 February 2003 11:09 am, you wrote:
> Hey Luciano,
>
> I've been puzzled by alsa as well. I was trying to get Jack to work, and
> got a look at the /proc/asound directory. Now i'm pritty confused by it.
> Perhaps in solving my questions, you will reach yours.
>
> I have 2 cards. A SB16 and an Delta Audiophile 2496 (ice1712). I'm
> working only with the Audiophile because that's the one that is weird.
> Tecnically (in the manual) I have 4 input channels (1 digital SPDIF
> channel that can be separated, and 2 mono RCA channels.) And 4 output
> channels. (in the same configuration as the first.) As well as a MIDI
> interface (1 in, 1 out).
>
> Now. I look at my /proc/asound directory. I have 2 cards (card 0 and 1).
> Inside the card0 dir (which is the Audiophile's) I see pcm0c and pcm0p,
> which I deduced is PCM device 0 Capture, and PCM 0 Playback. Now, to me
> this means that channels are not devices. Anyway, I enter the pcm0p
> (playback) directory. If channels are in fact subdevices, I should find
> 4 of them (0 - 3 subdevices) right? Yet, i find only one subdevice
> directory? the Info file in that dir tells me that there is only 1
> subdevice?
>
> Any ideas?
> Fabio.
>
> PS: What i needed JACK to do, was to record from the Audiophile, and
> Playback from the SB16. But I have not been able to do that either. . .
> JACK is weird, ALSA is even WEIRDER! And what are those manuals! They
> don't explain anything! Those guys are really confused I tell you.

Best Regards
--
Luciano Giordana - Musician - Certified Java/GNU C++ Developer - Free Software
Evangelist