Re: [Protux-devel] some diplomacy...

From: Luciano Giordana
Subject: Re: [Protux-devel] some diplomacy...
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 20:38:00 -0200

> so there the mapping between /proc pcm device and alsa-device seems to be:
> pcmX -> (plug)hw:Y,X
> where Y is the number of the card.

We are in sync with this. I am guessing this too and using it to detect the
devices..

> But the different pcmXp/c devices under /proc seems not to pe different
> ways of accessing the card, but really different buses on the card.
>
> So my wild guess for my SB-Live:
>
> pcm0c: line in
> pcm0p: line out
> pcm1c: mic in
> pcm2c: CD in
> pcm3p: digital out

that's I am suspecting too. But how alsa deals with right/left and mono stuff,
is a mistery.. that's why I am putting the application to do this..

> So did you access your SB16 through a plugin or directly ?
> If you accessed it through a plugin, it should be normal that you get OK,
> alsa will just downsample the data before really sending it to the card.

I tried hw and plughw. The first one seems to work better in a professional
usage since user knows what is happening..

> If you made a direct access, perhaps we could write a driver to use all
> those old sb16's as wireless network cards... (if they can do 1 GHz, they
> probably can do 2.4 GHz as well) just joking.
>
> /Martin

hehe... The 1Ghz test is faling maybe due the lack of a pre-setup before
querying the rate to the API. They work with something called "configuration
space", but they dont say what it is really and if those snd_hw_params must
be allocated just once in the application (and can be used to all
open/close/test/set operations), or it must be allocated EVERYtime I do
something...  Thats what I am looking for now..

Thanks for the help :-)

Best Regards
--
Luciano Giordana - Musician - Certified Java/GNU C++ Developer - Free Software
Evangelist