Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Support for SQLite/php5

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Support for SQLite/php5
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 08:50:35 +1100

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 08:37 -0600, Chris Weiss wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:08:49 +1100, Dave Hall
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > INSERTs leaving cols out so that get defaults values doesn't work
> >
> > huh? not according to the docs -
> > http://www.sambar.com/syshelp/sqlite/lang.htm#insert
> >
> I was reading their wiki, guess someone added the feature and didn't
> respond on the wiki :)
>
> if it can be added without affecting performance fo the other
> database, go for it.  Easy enough to make a db class for it, it's
> either going to work or it's not.
>
> And as I've said before, I'm all for pulling the SQL statements to
> their own classes where we have a "base" class that acheives what we
> have now with the ability to override the base SQL with db specific
> commands.  yes, it would be more to maintain but having a "sql
> changes" mailing list would make it easier, but would allow for some
> killer performance "out of the box".

When needed I am happy to see class.so_app_base.inc.php which is
extended by class.so_app_rdbms.inc.php - but someone has to test and
maintain them.  We can't expect every developer to have a access to
mysql, pgsql, mssql, oracle, db2 and sqlite and test on all of them.

Maybe we could look at finding a colo box which is a test box.  Only
available to developers - which can be used for testing things.
Unfortunately this requires $/EUR/YEN/pesos etc :(

Cheers

Dave