Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Translators doc

From: Thomas Viehmann
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Translators doc
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:07:23 +0000

Hi.

Dave Hall (address@hidden) wrote:
> Think we desperately need a translators guide/howto.  I am not offering
> to do it, or to put time lines on it, just suggesting that if someone
> want to write one, please do.

I'm not going to take another task where I don't perform timely (nor do I know
anything about translating), but from looking at how translation is done
elsewhere, I did ask myself whether it would be a good idea to switch to a
.po-scheme as source for the translation files. I know that po-files has been
discussed (and shot down) before, but as far as I understand it, the idea then
was to use po files instead of the database while I'm just asking myself
whether or not translators would benefit from being able to work with po files
(there are, after all, a few tools that aim to facilitate translations, and
someone must have found them to be of great enough help to write them).
Whether or not phpGW should generate the current lang files or import po files
into the database is another issue.
In my severely limited translation exposure, the Debian translation project
did opt to do translation of their configuration stuff via po-files and
generate the needed files from those.

Just a thought, my apologies if it's all noise.

Kind regards

Thomas