RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] async service question

From: Dirk Schaller
Subject: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] async service question
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 08:59:30 +0200

> I think it is supposed to be the timestamp of the last run.
> The async cronjob runs the same for all users and runs a
> php script that uses the phpgw_async table to see what it
> should do (all user's async entries are stored in this one
> table I think)

Yes, I agree with you

> I should re-state, that I have not been able to get the async
> services to run reliably and took a look at the code which was
> hard for me to follow due to the way it locks the table to make
> sure two runs do not happen at the same time.
>
> I think it uses the '##last-check-run##' to determine if the
> last run finished successfully before it starts another run.
> Maybe you could use a similar concept?

The '##last-check-run##' is okay for control all async services.
But it makes no sense to go the same way for each application and
store the last run of the application in an own async entry like
'##last-<app_name>-run##'. The right plave for such a timestamp
info is in my view the data field of the async entry, bacause one
application could be more than one async entries which have to be
independend from each other. So there is the nned to store the
timestamp in the entry itself.

Why is there a data field when I couldnt edit it during the async
run? That is the main think I dont understand. So I decide to make
it possible and provide it as patch.

> I would really like to use the features provided by this
> sytem to the calendar app, but I could use help in getting
> it to be reliable.  The developer who wrote it is no longer
> maintaining it.

I didnt make any changes to get the async service running.
ceb use it in the projects module (see projects from head or ask
her for further information).

We use the async service both under Windows (over fallback)
and under Linux in combination with cron.