Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] StyleGuide

From: Jeff Bachtel
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] StyleGuide
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 16:57:00 -0500

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 08:18:47AM +0000, Lars Kneschke(priv.) wrote:
> Alex Borges <address@hidden> schrieb:
> >Id like to add:
> >
> >" The Back Button on EVERY browser should ALLWAYS work "
>
> I don't know if this is possible.
>
> I you submited a form and try to go back, at least mozilla displays a
> warning, that you will submit the form data again. This is very bad.

Include a transaction ID in forms, such that a double-submit can be
detected programatically, and doubled operations averted.

> >From my knowledge the phrase above should be:
>
> "The user should never be forced to use the back button."
>
> Because we have usefull navigation in the application.

Breaking browser UI in favor of web application UI isn't necessary,
and certainly isn't desirable (because users will use available queues
and UI items, and that back button will always be there, and will
always mean "go back to the previous screen", whereas the phpgroupware
UI will only exist (to the user) inside of phpgw apps).

Kinda moot, very little in phpgw breaks due to back-button useage
anyway, in my experience, but it'd certainly be an excellent policy to
enforce that behaviour.

jeff

--
Jeff Bachtel  (address@hidden,TAMU)    http://www.cepheid.org/~jeff