Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] XML & Schema Proc

From: Ralf Becker
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] XML & Schema Proc
Date: Sat, 03 May 2003 10:34:42 +0200

Michael Dean wrote:
On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 03:41, Ralf Becker wrote:

The alpha support for table-creation in ADOdb can also be seen as a change to influence their development, as I have to agree with Michael: our / his schema_proc classes are far ahead of every other project of this kind.

Again, we already have good functionality that just needs enhancement.

I think the key point in that discussion is not "is ADOdb better/faster then our phplib db-layer", it is "do we have someone to maintain and expand (new db's or capabilities of existing ones) the class/framwork". I'm more than happy if your back to do so. If not, I would still consider to hook up with ADOdb and "sell" them our schema_proc framework, to maintain and further develop it.

I did most of the maintaining (bug-fixing) of the db-classes and schema_proc in the last year and I can only support knecke in this.

The half a dozent postgres bugs I fixed in the last half year, shows / supports the benefits of bigger user-base in testing the schema_proc classe. Heres a short / not complete list: - sequnces had not been droped, when a table got droped (you could not remove and re-install apps)
- index got not renamed when table got renamed
- you cant do a add-column with no default (and other contrains on table-change where not handled correct
- see the cvs-logs for more ;-)

Cool!  Glad to see it fixed up.

There is already an existing emulation layer for ADOdb to allow to still use the phplib calls. Links are in the wiki on the ADOdb page. There is also a performance comparison.

If the emulation layer is a wrapper around ADODB calls, I'd just as soon
leave it be.  You're introducing more overhead

The biggest issue I see at the moment with our schema_proc classes (beside support for other db's, oracle to name one) is the missing index creation. Only primary keys and unique contrains got created, normal indices are ignored. This needs to be solved soon and we should use an update-script to create the indices for the existing installations too.

I can fix that up.  Foreign key support is desirable too.

Cool, go for it.

Agreed.

Wishlist:
- fulltext index for mysql (needed for porting phpbrain)
- the pgsql abstime or mysql timestamp type (we normaly use just int's for that purpose), again needed for porting apps
- and transaction support for mysql would be nice too.

I guess, we will find more ;-)

Really, moving to XML/XSLT for schema proc has huge rewards, as you only
need to maintain a small schema proc class that executes the transform
and subsequent SQL in PHP. The rest can be done in XSLT quite well. I'd much rather write a stylesheet to support a new db (and it's
abstraction class) than code it into PHP.

I'm not that optimistic about xml for schema proc for 2 reasons:
- we still need to support the "old way" tables_update.inc.php (or do you want to port and test all the old scripts ;-) - the capabilities of the db's are quite different, on some db's we eg. rename the table, create a new table with the changed layout, copy the whole content and then drop the old one. I dont think we can always archiv this with only a style-sheet.

Ralf
Ralf Becker
OUTDOOR UNLIMITED Training GmbH                Telefon 0631 / 31657-0
Leibnizstraße 17                               Telefax 0631 / 31657-26
D-67663 Kaiserslautern            EMail address@hidden