Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] XML & Schema Proc

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] XML & Schema Proc
Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 16:48:26 +1000

Ralf Becker <address@hidden> wrote:

> Michael Dean wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-05-02 at 03:41, Ralf Becker wrote:
> >
> >>The alpha support for table-creation in ADOdb can also be seen
> as a
> >>change to influence their development, as I have to agree with
> Michael:
> >>our / his schema_proc classes are far ahead of every other
> project of
> >>this kind.
> >
> > Again, we already have good functionality that just needs
> enhancement.
> I think the key point in that discussion is not "is ADOdb
> better/faster
> then our phplib db-layer", it is "do we have someone to maintain
> and
> expand (new db's or capabilities of existing ones) the
> class/framwork".
> I'm more than happy if your back to do so. If not, I would still
> consider to hook up with ADOdb and "sell" them our schema_proc
> framework, to maintain and further develop it.

As I have been accused of wanting to cause trouble by bringing mdean
back  ;) - I though it was time for me to chuck my 2c on the issue.
First my intention was to see us build the best groupware system around :)

phplib vs ADOdb vs PEAR - i personally like the phplib db functions.  I
understand there are issues with maintaining the codebase ... but we
have  issues with maintaining our code in general.

XML Schema Proc - if it will not deminish our functionality then i am in
favour of it.  If mdean can include our feature requests as part of this
then I think we have a great set of classes to work with.

Issues on the horizon ... these are things we should keep in mind ...
* the php-pgsql the methods all changed in PHP 4.2.0 - see
http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.pgsql.php (or
http://www.php.net/manual/de/ref.pgsql.php if you prefer).

* mysql 4 - i think we should make sure that out HEAD code works
properly with mysql 4 ... i don't know if this will be a non issue

* other RDBMSs ... we have a sybase support patch on our tracker (for
over 12mths) waiting for someone to apply it ... see
https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/index.php?func=detailpatch&patch_id=209&group_id=509
anyone want to apply it - my notes on it say mdean has already ok'd it.

Cheers

Dave