Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] XML & Schema Proc

From: Michael Dean
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] XML & Schema Proc
Date: 01 May 2003 19:23:32 -0500

Not sure why you'd want to compare those.  ADODB doesn't have DDL
support (only has alpha quality table/index creation) and the Metabase
portion of MDB that does support DDL would be either risky to run or
require much more overhead to ensure the risk is eliminated.  Metabase
was considered for phpGW once already, but examination of the code
proved it would not be suitable.

To boot, you incur a LOT of risk switching APIs.  Even if you have a
wrapper to introduce interface compatibility because the implementations
are going to be very different.  Wrappers also incur their own overhead
because of their nature.

I don't see a reason to replace the database classes, but perhaps you
can share the concerns?  Between the classes and schema proc, you have
total control over the database and setup/upgrade processes.  The other
packages don't come close.