Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] First draft of install howto

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] First draft of install howto
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 18:32:23 +1100

Chris Weiss <address@hidden> wrote:

> >* the check ip issue - it is not just AOL that uses transparent
> proxies, many .au isps use them
>
> my ISP uses a transparent proxy too, that's not directlty the
> issue.  The problem is
> the way AOL is setup a user can, and usualy does, get a different
> IP address with
> every request.  As far as I know AOL and it's little clones are
> the only ones that
> do this.

Ok, maybe all .au isps want to be AOL ;)

Over here most of the larger isps use transparent proxies with multiple
chidren ... and so the requests come from different ip#.  The 3 isps I
have used here all do it, and i refuse to use the largest, but suspect
they do it too.

Maybe just include something along the lines of "if you receive 'your
session could not be verified' errors every second page request then do
blah - AOL users will require this change to be made" ... or something
like that.

> >* Have a know issues section - so everyone knows why certain things
> >won't work - ie php4.2.3 for setup
>
> good idea, but I did the howto by doing a clean install using php
> 4.2.3 with no issues.

What version of apache?
Using the stable snapshot of 4.2.3 from cvs.php.net?  or packages?

Please give me as much info as possible, I am madly trying to track down
a setup bug that seems to be affecting php 4.2.3 file_exist() on
relative paths ... it is a known bug in php4.2.3  See
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailbug&bug_id=1153&group_id=509
for more info

> >* Add a link to it on phpgw-info bot under install :)
>
> need to polish it up a bit before I release it to the masses.
> Hopefully it can be
> uploaded to phpgw web site too.

Yeah, I would love to see it on phpgw.org, but it was an interim
solution.  imho it doesn't need a lot of polishing.