pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan rules/filters

From: John Wendel
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan rules/filters
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 16:03:09 -0800

On 01/22/2017 12:26 PM, Dave wrote:
Is there any way at all to get Pan to filter and DELETE posts on sight?

There's a binaries group currently being swamped by very, very
large numbers of post.  So many that Pan and the OS is not
reacting well to a group with a couple million posts in it.  ie all
RAM used up (almost never happens on my 8GB PC) and swap
getting thrashed to the extent that the PC almost grinds to a
halt despite there being plenty of CPU power spare.

On at least one occasion, the memory/page management
choked and crashed/reboot the PC and that's a very unusual
thing to happen on FreeBSD!

I feel your pain! You can set a filter to ignore the user, but it won't stop the downloads.

Here's what I'm doing,

[1] In the group pane, right click the group name

[2] Select "Get latest N headers" and enter 100000

[3] Select and delete all the bad headers

[4] Download and/or cleanup

[5] Repeat

I've also tried using the free usenet browser from "newshosting.com". It does a good job of filtering junk posts, so you never see them. But I prefer Pan.