pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Problem syncing two copies of Pan

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Problem syncing two copies of Pan
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 19:57:37 +0000 (UTC)

Joe Zeff posted on Thu, 08 Jul 2010 10:04:45 -0700 as excerpted:

> Is there some reason it might not have copied newsrc properly?

Not in general that I know of... but there's some variability in whether
you ran rsync as root or as a user and which one, and the permissions on
the files and dirs, etc.

What I'd do in a case like this where there's a question about it, would
be first a visual comparison of the file size, date, and perms (they
should be identical if rsync is doing its job correctly), and assuming
that comes out clean, a diff, to verify the files are identical.

The other approach I'd use would be working at it from the other
direction, seeing what files pan is actually accessing using an strace
session.  Of course, that often entails some pretty fancy grepping in
addition to the appropriate strace -eopen pan, to bring the output down to
something even approaching manageable size, without eliminating the needle
you're looking for in the haystack.  If you work with grep enough to
understand the implications of regex and how it interacts with the command
line, etc, that should be enough to point you in the right direction.
Else I can explain, but the explanation's rather involved, so I'd prefer
to avoid it if possible.