pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: So, what's left before 1.0?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: So, what's left before 1.0?
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 05:50:10 +0000 (UTC)

Joe Zeff posted on Tue, 29 Sep 2009 19:55:59 -0700 as excerpted:

> On 09/29/2009 Alan Meyer wrote:
>> On my system having that box checked caused Pan to spend as much as six
>> hours loading a very large newsgroup from memory, and catching up a
>> week or so worth of headers.  Unchecking the box reduced the time to a
>> minute or two.
>
> I made the mistake of experimenting with the Assitive Technologies on
> Fedora 10 and got the same result.  I think there were one or two other
> programs affected, but the problem with Pan was the most pronounced.

++

Charles, there have been a number of folks that have reported this
problem, nearly all on Ubuntu where this Assistive Technologies stuff is
apparently on by default, and for every one, it has been very close to a
show-stopper.

At minimum, this should be documented.  Better, someone who understands
traces and etc needs to run debug on one or both programs with both
running, and see where the bug is and fix it.  The alternative is that on
Ubuntu, people are going to try pan, and most of them will reject it as
simply unworkable, before ever posting to the list or anywhere that we
can tell them to try turning off the AT stuff.

Given Ubuntu's popularity, I'd say at minimum some form of documenting
this, or maybe a run-time detection for it and a warning, if it can't be
directly fixed, is about as close to a show-stopper as pan has at this
point.  It really does kneecap pan pretty badly, and we have had multiple
reports of it on the list.

(It took us awhile to figure out what it was, then someone realized it
only happened with Gnome running, which was weird given pan's
relationship with Gnome, but certainly explained why I didn't have the
problem given I'm a confirmed KDE guy.  We tried all kinds of stuff.
Then someone, I forgot who at this point, finally posted that it was the
AT stuff for them, and sure enough, everyone else with the problem
quickly confirmed it.  Then later, JZ tried AT on Fedora, and it happened
to him too, so we have double confirmation, that turning it off on Ubuntu
fixes the problem, and turning it on on Fedora triggers the problem.  The
evidence doesn't get much stronger, at least not without a full trace of
what's happening in ordered to fix it.)