pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Filtering out body content

From: clarjon1
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Filtering out body content
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 11:33:35 -0400

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Duncan <address@hidden> wrote:
> clarjon1 <address@hidden> posted
> address@hidden, excerpted below,
> on  Thu, 29 May 2008 10:13:27 -0400:
>
>> i was wondering if it would be possible to create a filter/regexp that
>> would work in pan to filter out certain content of a mail message.
>
> You can't filter or score on content at all with pan.  Pan's scoring
> works only on the normal but limited set overview headers, so it's not
> even possible to score based on all headers, let alone the content or the
> message as a whole.
>
> Even if it did, the only existing mechanism is the scoring mechanism;
> there's no method for filtering out one part of the content and not
> showing it.  Attachments, MIME or otherwise, do that to some extent, but
> if it's text and not an attachment, even if it's a separate MIME part
> with a boundary, it's shown.
>
> To change that would require either being a C++ coder and delving into
> the code yourself, or having the necessary money to sponsor someone with
> the coding skills to do it if you don't have them yourself.  Elsewise,
> you can file an enhancement/feature-request bug, and maybe it'll get in
> eventually, but this isn't a common request, and while I may be wrong, it
> doesn't strike me as something Charles is likely to take a strong fancy
> to and just implement because he likes the idea, so it's likely to be
> targeted "bluesky", which means, it'd be nice... someday... likely years
> from now.
>
> So practically speaking, if you're really set on this feature and you're
> /not/ a C++ coder, you'll probably want to find another news client that
> either implements a feature like this already, or has a scripting
> language implemented to allow expanded functionality.  If you're an EMACS
> fan, gnus, implemented in EMACS LISP, is an example of the latter.  It's
> quite possibly an already implemented feature for it, and if not,
> implementing it, for an already EMACS/LISP fan, should be relatively easy.

Ok, thanks for the info.
I had a feeling that since it wasn't available yet, as I couldn't find
anything in any config files and such.

Thanks so much for the quick reply!
I guess I'll just have to score him to 'flag' that I'll have to use
the N (or ctrl-n) to get to the next message once i'm done with the
REAL content of his message.

Thanks again!

--
Jon