om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] issues with om

From: Dave Robillard
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] issues with om
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 12:26:00 -0500

On Fri, 2005-16-12 at 09:37 +0000, James McDermott wrote:

> > >This is the fault of whatever plugins you're using.  I don't currently
> > >check the realtime safe flags of the plugins (I should, yeah).
>
> Just piping up here: it's true that this is the fault of the plugins,
> but it doesn't necessarily follow that it's because they're not
> realtime-safe, in the LADSPA sense. Heavy cpu-eaters, even
> realtime-safe ones, can still cause this kind of problem - right?

Well, it depends really.  Assuming the plugins are OK, it's a system
configuration issue.  70% is quite high system load for realtime things,
if your system isn't very well tuned you will definitely get dropouts
pushing it this hard.

Even with a very well configured ealtime system, going much over 80% is
asking for trouble.

-DR-