om-synth

Re: [Om-synth] issues with om

From: Atte André Jensen
Subject: Re: [Om-synth] issues with om
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 01:09:15 +0100

Dave Robillard wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my thoughts. Your reply is as mild as I could hope for.

This is the fault of whatever plugins you're using.  I don't currently
check the realtime safe flags of the plugins (I should, yeah).  I may
just have them not show up at all, which is the easy fix.  You might be
running non realtime safe plugins that have CPU usage all over the
place.

Never heard of that flag. Where can I investigate if a certain plugin has that set or not?

Om itself is and always has been very strictly hard realtime safe, I can
tell you that.

Ok, I see. This is still a bit problematic cause I don't have a chance to look at a plugin and tell how it will perform (except by trying things and avoiding the worst ones). So from the users point of view om is actually om-the-program-you-wrote + a-bunch-of-plugins-that-make-noise. Fo instance I realized the other week that the only nice sounding rotary speaker plugin has a latency at about 50 ms. This has nothing to do with om, but it still means that my friends will tell me "so you can't do a decent realtime organ sound in that om-thingy".

These two are communication issues.  The bane of my goddamn existance,
frankly.  I get it occasionally too, I'll have to slow things down a
bit.

It's a fun game of randomly increasing delays littered throughout the
code until things usually work.  This is the one thing that makes me
regret the seperate client/server model.

So you're saying that they can't be fixed? Hmm. Couldn't the race be avoided by having the client wait for the server to finish whatever needs to be done before proceeding?

That would be because I didn't have a keyboard with me until now. ;)
Hold pedal support will come soon, now that I do.

Nice...

Are you running a realtime patched kernel? (latency, not permissions)

I'm pretty sure, but I'll get back to you on this one...

A (better) DSSI sampler plugin would allow you to play samples in Om.
You can right now with the sampler that comes with the DSSI
distribution, but it's a pretty trivial thing.

And as mentioned it crashes here when I change the root pitch :-(

Dynamic voice allocation will come in the form of a special node with an
"activate voice" input (ie if it's high, the voice will run, or maybe
vice versa).  This is a very old idea as well (it came up on the LAU
thread about the "ultimate modular synth" before I even wrote a single
line of code).  Noone's really needed it yet, so I havn't bothered.

Dare I say <soft voice>"I need it"</soft voice>?
Ahem.  Om is one of the most rigorously realtime safe and performance
audited (in the audio thread anyway) linux audio apps I know of.  The
version in CVS is DRAMATICALLY more efficient at mixing down ports and
whatnot than 0.2.0, but Om's overhead compared to the plugins is so
insignificant it matters little.

Ok. I'm looking forward to trying out the new stuff. And I realize that slow or poorly written plugins may eat it all up...

> If you can crash the 0.2.0 engine, you're more
clever than I (and I want to know how).

BTW: I never had a crash (like in core-dump-freeze-or-exit-without-warning) in om. Still the ride feels a bit bumpy at times .-)

From where I stand some aspects of om is as rock solid as you mention. But things like the communication issues are still an anoyance, and a growing one when you stress the system harder.

So when I program patches om performs very nice. I have one or maybe two patches open, and everything (mostly) goes well. But I need to bring a complete setup that will restore at least a handful of sounds every single time to the stage.

Don't go slamming a
project because CVS is unstable, that's beyond stupid.

How nicely put :-)

BTW, you have just implicitly volunteered to thoroughly test the next
release. :)

Sure, sure!!!

Anyway, I don't know what the point of this diatribe is.

It wasn't meant as a rant. I was desperate, and though I'd share my frustration with you.

 Need hold pedal support?  Mention it (like you did
before).  It'll take me less than an hour to do that, it's not a big
deal at all.

Ok, I'll be looking forward to that :-)

What did YOU do today?

I spend most of the day trying to put my new sounds into lash sessions that would restore correctly. I managed one, and had to go to the rehearsal one tune short...

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte

http://www.atte.dk