Re: Octave should create a forum

From: edmund ronald
Subject: Re: Octave should create a forum
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2020 23:18:56 +0100

Mike, thanks for the reply. Yes, unfortunately by indicating you elided my name while addressing the topic, you confirm my point of view that the participants of this list avoid person-directed interactions. This is relevant here because forums are designed to be named-participant communities while tech response sites are primarily issue-solution databases. And a typical forum interaction will see a user navigate down an experience thread eg how do I install, how do I run, how do I locate the library to do X etc. And people will interact with the user along this forum thread, seeing them as a person with a goal, not as a tech issue . In a QA site each of these is a new purely tech-based interaction.

If I may be so bold as to state a view, I dont think participants of THIS list should make the forum decision based alone on discussion here. It would be preferable to inform the decision by asking more naive users for their opinion.

Edmund
PS I have pleasant memories  of our meeting and all going out for beer in Germany, and hope we will meet at a future conference.

On Sat, Jan 4, 2020 at 9:02 PM Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 04, 2020 at 15:59:40 +0100, edmund ronald wrote:
> I have had zero acknowledgement to my
> emails above, and in the same way there is no wish to accommodate overly
> chatty users.

I didn't reply directly to you, but one of my replies definitely did
agree with your sentiments about Stack Overflow, and the different needs
served by a Q&A site vs a discussion forum.

--
mike