Re: Octave should create a forum

From: edmund ronald
Subject: Re: Octave should create a forum
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2020 02:39:30 +0100

Stack Overthrow seems to be the Silicon Valley solution; I see a lot of rules-chasers explaining why  queries or answers are not technically appropriate. we might want something more mellow, creating a collective memory.

On Saturday, January 4, 2020, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 at 20:19, Mike Miller <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 11:02:54 -0600, GoSim wrote:
> > [...]
> > A real forum, not like nabble which is more like a backup for a mailing list
> > and with a horrible user interface. I think it would be good for your
> > community and would increase activity with more questions and answers and
> > info in general.
>
> I agree that nabble is just a shoddy front end for the mailing list and
> I can't recommend anyone use it. I also agree that a modern discussion
> forum might lower the barrier to entry for new users to participate in
> the community. I am a seasoned free software participant, and even I
> find mailing lists tedious and a little arcane.

The point being raised here is that a forum "would increase activity
with more questions and answers" but what features in the forum would
actually enable that?  This should help in make a better choice, not
only whether we should get a forum or not, but also what type of
forum.  You mentioned discourse and GoSim mentioned phpBB (freecad
forum) which are very different.

The point also mentions "questions and answers" which for me means a
Q&A site, just like Juan already suggested.  I actually quite like
them.  There is an octave tag on StackOverflow which I check almost
daily and there's a few constant people answering questions there:

    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/octave

So maybe start from there?