Re: Old patches from Red Hat (continued)

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Old patches from Red Hat (continued)
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 16:05:21 -0500

John W. Eaton wrote:

On 28-Apr-2005, Quentin Spencer wrote:

| One thing I forgot to mention about the help patch was the following | comment from the build script that may shed some light on why it's there: | | * Wed Jul 30 2003 Lon Hohberger <address@hidden> 2.1.50-3
| - Fix for Bugzilla #101299, round 2.  Include a patch to
| quell sterr from info; it gives us funny messages if $HOME/.info
| does not exist.

This makes no sense to me.  I don't have a $HOME/.info file
(directory?) and I don't see any messages going to stderr from info.

So I still don't understand what problem this patch is trying to
solve.  I'd say omit it and see if anyone complains.
I don't understand it either, which is why I sent it to the list :). If you look at the bugzilla entry and the changelogs, it looks like this was one of the things they tried before they finally figured out you needed to require texinfo, but the patch stayed in. I'm going to go ahead and drop all the old patches. The process of getting things into Fedora Extras is slowly moving along--hopefully we're only a few more weeks away from "yum install octave-forge" on Fedora.

-Quentin